Bricole Reincke Backyard Chickens- April Month in Pictures

What came first the Chickens or the Egg?

Bricole Reincke's favorite meal of the day is breakfast! Come to think about it, maybe that's why I have backyard chickens. The yolks of the eggs are so much more orange and have a rich flavor that cannot be beat. Look at my face in the picture below...the breakfast from this fancy restaurant obviously isn't made from farm fresh eggs or why would I be making this face?

Bricole-Reincke_Breakfast_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
Pictured above: Bricole Reincke at breakfast in Detroit, Michigan

I first decided to get backyard chickens when I moved just outside of Southwest Ranches. We are one of the only areas in Broward County that allows livestock. 

Bricole-Reincke_Baby-Chicks_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
Staring out with baby chicks is not as easy as you think it would be. Although they are cute, they spill their water and food constantly, you need to keep a heat-lamp on them and they poop everywhere! However, the process of raising a chick to a full grown chicken is amazing to watch. If you have children, it is a must! Once we got the hang of it, we started buying chickens that were about 4 months old, which is when they start laying eggs.

Bricole-Reincke_Chicken-Run_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
The last batch of chicks had three roosters. Roosters actually protect the flock from predators, so we kept them. Plus, I don't have the heart to eat them and fear that if we give them away then they will be According to Hobby Farms,  "Roosters are the guardians of the flock. They are constantly on the alert for predators from the sky and the ground. If they see something that worries them, they sound the alarm, and the hens run for cover. If the predator gets close, the rooster won’t back down and will fight to the death to protect his hens. If you have chicks in the flock, the rooster will work twice as hard to make sure all his charges are safe." 


My Miniature Australian Shepherds, Hazel and Jack (Jack is pictured above), love to heard our chickens! I guess that's what they were bred to do. It is so funny to watch them get the gals back into their pen when they escape.

Bricole-Reincke_Eggs_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
We have 30+ hens and I will say we got A LOT of eggs! You may be wondering why there are so many different colored eggs in the picture above. That's because different breeds of hens have different color eggs. So many people only think that eggs are wither white or brown, but that is false. Chickens can lay blue, green and pink eggs too! There are even online stores where you can pick out your chicken breed and have pullets (or baby chicks) shipped to you.

Bricole-Reincke_Quiche_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
My favorite part of owning chickens is the end product. You can do so much with eggs. I absolutely love to cook. I feel like it is an expression of my creativity. I often do batch-process cooking over the weekend and make a variety of egg dishes. Quiche, egg-casserole, deviled eggs...you name it and I have made it! I love to give out my homemade goods to my family and friends.


Bricole-Reincke_Anova-Sous-Vide_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
But did you know that you can sous vide eggs? I scramble eggs and put various other tasty ingredients in the mason jar before sealing them, then they are dropped in a pot of water. I use my Anova precision cooker to do the rest of the work. 

Bricole-Reincke_Sous-Vide-Egg-Cups_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
And then I have a quick breakfast option when I'm in a hurry in the morning. After all, I do have a job besides cooking ;)

Bricole-Reincke_Eggs-Fruit_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
Of course there is that traditional egg breakfast with fruit or bacon and potatoes. 

Bricole-Reincke_Irish-Bacon_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
I pretty much make every morning, so I don't want to bore you with any more pictures of eggs.

Bricole-Reincke_Banana-Bread_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
So here is a picture of my chocolate chip banana bread that was made with farm fresh eggs!


Bricole-Reincke_Fresh-OJ_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida
 And what would a good breakfast be without fresh squeezed OJ?

Be sure to check out my Pinterest Board on Chicken Farming too! 

 Bricole-Reincke_Chicken-Socks_Backyard-Chickens_Southwest-Ranches_Davie-Florida



Bricole Reincke has more sites, check them out here:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Horse Costume- Henry the Bee- Made by Bricole Reincke

Pexels- FREE Unique Stock Photos

Meet Jack, the Black-Tri Mini Aussie